Our inspectors inspect the structural quality and general safety of buildings. They typically inspect the soil condition and position and depth of foundation footings before the construction of a building foundation. Building Inspectors also routinely examine a structure’s fire sprinklers, alarms and smoke control systems, and fire exits.
The following general duties are common to most specialty fields:
- Inspect structures for compliance with building codes and ordinances, structural quality, and zoning regulations
- Review contract specifications for the safety and utility of structures
- Monitor inspection activities through the use of computers and specialized software
- Maintain a work log, take photographs, file reports, and act on inspection findings
- Use survey instruments, metering devices, tape measures, and test equipment, such as a concrete strength measurer, in carrying out inspections